Monday, November 24, 2008

Fenghuang-Day 3

November 25, 2008

Yesterday was my last and final day in Fenghuang and if you ask me, it was one day too much. The town is cool but not for over two days. I spent the morning and part of the afternoon, studying Chinese in a coffee shop and drinking a chocolate milkshake. The sun was out and it was warm and peaceful, but I was ready to get back to my own house and bed.

I headed back to the hotel but not before stopping off for a chicken burger. The women that I had met on day one were waiting for me (they are exceptionally nice) and I hopped on a bus to Jishou with them (where I would catch the overnight train back to Changsha). On the bus ride, I sat next to a German woman, the only other foreigner on board, and we talked about traveling. She told me some great places to see in India.

In Jishou, two other women from Hong Kong (in their twenties) took me out for a bowl of noodles. Pretty nice, considering I was getting some of my appetite back from being sick. However, the sickness lasted and continues to last. I spent the last couple hours before my train left, in the lobby of a really nice hotel fending off the bug. The hotel staff even opened up one of their offices to let me use the internet (only in China would this happen!). I then had some more random conversations (IN CHINESE!!!) at the train station and then headed back home. Got into Changsha around 6:30am. My first class today was at 11am.

So, that was my trip. Pretty good. Relaxing. I accomplished what I set out to do, which was study Chinese, sleep in and just get rejuvenated. However, I am feeling sort of homesick with Thanksgiving around the corner and also, the sickness really depleted me and has left me wanting nothing to do with Chinese food.

Until next time.

No comments: