Wednesday, December 3, 2008

3rd Time is Definitely Not the Charm

Yesterday, marked the third time in as many weeks, that I have gotten some version of food poisoning. At least, I am hoping it is only that.

The first culprit: an overindulgence of steamed and fried dumplings topped off with Oreos. Ewwwwww. I guess that means I will not crave the latter anymore. On top of it, my friend got his bag stolen at the restaurant we were eating at that night. Insult to injury or vice versa.

Scenario Two: Grilled spicy potato wedges in Fenghuang. How I coveted them all day, only to find that when I got them, they were cold. Stupidly, I still ate them. Note to self: Never eat cold street food.

The Whopper: Must have been the cake or the egg or something else, but last night was no picnic. I'll spare the details but nothing can invoke hate more than food poisoning.

So, hopefully, I have learned a few lessons. Wash your hands numerous times a day. Do not touch your mouth. Finally, in general, just pay attention to what you eat.

I've been snacking on saltines and 7 up today, the only thing I can seem to stomach. However, I am happy to announce that hell on Earth can now be classified as "getting food poisoning in China." There is nothing more miserable. Well, I mean, comparatively.

Other than that, this week, I am teaching "music" to my students. I printed off copies of some classical rock songs. Bust. The students favorite artists: Backstreet Boys, Britney, Christina...though they also know Ne-Yo and Beyonce. Someone seriously needs to infuse more variety into their lives. I guess that will be me. My last class today, was filled with Simon Says (they are the beginning students) and it had to be one of the best classes I have had. Though, I was fatigued thanks to the lack of sleep last night.

My junior 2's seemed less interested in listening to music, than studying for their geography test. Apparently, it was a STRESSFUL situation for them.

So continues a sick and unusual week in China. Currently, I am still waiting on news of my Spring Festival dates, planning a trip regardless. Though, it is looking like India is definitely off the list now and Thailand has been downgraded to "not-likely". Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia are definite, with the possibility of Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Yunnan province (near the China/Myanmar border) pending time off.

So, until next time, zaijian.

1 comment:

M.I.A. Blogger said...

Hope you are feeling better by now! I think it is interesting that you are bringing music into the classroom.

Reading off the list of people the students know of, I decided I would make a list of some groups/singers I listened to when I was their age.

The List

1. Celine Dion (my first CD)
2. Savage Garden
3. Matchbox 20
4. Paula Cole
5. Jewel