Friday, December 5, 2008

The Demon Barber of Shaoshan Nan Lu

December 6, 2008

It was all planned out. An hour at the gym, then off to get a massage. But, as I stood there, scoping my grizzly beard in the mirror, I felt a need. A need to get it shaved off. So, I forewent the massage and stopped off at the salon.

An hour and a half later, I would walk out, with half a mustache and (thankfully) my lips and ears still intact. Getting a shave in China, not the best idea. It takes a lot of nerve to go under the razor, especially when a salon full of gossipy Changshanese are gawking and laughing at the ridiculous possibilities that could transpire, should the young barber have a sudden twitch.

No harm done. The rest of the night, and partly the reason I am in so early, was spent with a co-worker at a local diner.

1 comment:

M.I.A. Blogger said...

I think you would be better off doing it yourself next time..