Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Showered with Gifts

This Wednesday, September 10, was Teacher's Day in China. A much bigger event than back in the U.S. I was hoping that I would receive something special from my students, but was actually blown away at the hospitality of the day.

First, a rousing "Happy Teacher's Day!" during my first class. My second class, responded with one of their own, and a coffee mug. Another class, gave me a pen and a pen/pencil holder for my desk. I was treated to lunch by students, dinner by my liaison, and then received a tour of the local government headquarters.

The latter, a bit like walking in the novel 1984, had me nervous but also elated when I saw their gym. Which I can apparently use for free now, as long as I meet the right people. Ping pong for an hour or so, and then free moon cakes in celebration of this weekend's Mid-Autumn Festival.

Now, these mooncakes are not as good as they may seem. I had a berry one and a horse-foot one last night. Yes, horse foot. On the other hand, the hospitality is unlike anything I've ever experienced. It is pleasant and at the same time alarming. For I know it would be simple to take advantage of. And yes, many Americans and other "laowai" or foreigners do!

Those expats are akward people. Some, I imagine, come to China to live the life a celebrity. The constant whispering, giggling and staring, most likely make them feel important. Insecure much?

The freebies you can get by being a foreigner, are anything but few and far between. At the bar, you can be treated to shot after shot, if you desire. But, I have found that it is best to not overuse this phenomenon. Maybe it is karma that I believe in, but I feel guilty. Signing autographs after class could make you feel a little too much like Angelina Jolie, but it is also in a way disgusting.

Why do the Chinese feel that it is so important for Americans to be here? Why are we seen as the epitome of beauty? Granted, I don't mind it when my students tell me how handsome I am, but why is that?

Maybe this is something I will discover as time goes by. Until then, I will maintain stay clear of abusing this "special treatment", as much as possible.

No comments: