Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Feeding Time

I never thought how impossible it could seem to be able to feed yourself. With the assortment of foods here, everything seems more like ingredients than anything else. Onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic, bell peppers (of course!), tomatoes. All are staples here, along with rice, noodles and watermelons. The latter, is a typical dessert at most dinners.

Of course, having these ingredients does not make it terribly easy to cook. I have found that the majority of dishes here are similar. Beef with peppers and MSG. Noodles with some veggies, peppers and MSG. My favorite dish, a beef and pepper combo that tastes similar to taco meat, is quite delicious. But not everyday.

To save money, shopping in the open-air market is the way to go. Sure, you can find almost anything you need at Wal-Mart or Metro, but it will cost you. Everything is expensive. Oatmeal, is the only imported food I have bought thus far. Extra virgin olive oil is ridiculously priced and the oil used (liberally) here is not the healthiest.

So, the quest to make the perfect meal continues. While I have nearly managed to duplicate an egg plant dish you find on the street. I long for the days of nachos and pizza. Though, I am planning on refraining from McDonalds and KFC (which is everywhere!) as long as possible.

No comments: