Monday, September 1, 2008

First Day of Class

I am met with applause as I enter the classroom. 60 sets of eyes focused on the American now standing in front of them. They giggle behind soft eyes and glance away and poke at their friends. Nervous, elated and uncertain all at the same time.

My first question, a wry and sarcastic, " what time does the class start?" arouses laughter. It takes me little time to realize that most (if any) of the students in the class speak English or understand the question. The next 45 minutes promises to be a learning experience.

I introduce them to the rules of the class. "English only" as number one. Maybe I should rethink that and begin using what little Chinese I know. Immediately I am relieved at how well they follow reading off of the board in unison. As I walk through the aisles, I ask each one individual questions to help gauge their speaking ability. Some speak well, others do not. Their names are Helen, Robert, Thomas and Jack. English names, given to them by a former teacher.

In another more advanced class, 35 much more proficient speakers arrive. They are well behaved and listen attentively. I am relieved because after just 45 minutes of continual whispering in Chinese during the first class I am emotionally drained a little.

With chalk in hand and a wet eraser in the other, we lay ground rules and I interview them. One of them mentions that his mother is a doctor, another mentions that her father is a teacher. I challenge another to a game of basketball. In all, this class is much more fluid than the other. I am relieved to have my own classroom for the advanced classes. One that I can make my own.

In all, 18 classes a week. 45 minutes a piece and one English Corner on top of that. Taking on students to tutor is another possibility but let's see how much energy I have. The schedule I have is large but pales in comparison to the rigors of the students schedule. Up each day at 6:20am...8 classes, sometimes 3 more in the evening. Mandatory exercise classes, eye exercise classes, nap time and study time. They receive about 3 hours a day for meals and free time. Lights out around 10pm.

This is the life of a machine bent on excellence. Rudimentary and rote memorization. Some would view it as robotic, others as competitive. I see it as both. Of all the things in China, the school system seems to be the only one that is structured. To a tee. Bell by bell.

1 comment: